I love this topic! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish, and they choose different topics each week for bloggers to write about. I think this week’s topic is especially interesting.
This week bloggers are picking their top ten things on their reading wishlists. This means if you could pick a topic, setting, character, etc… for authors to write about, what would they be?
After a long, hard stare at my computer screen, I’ve come up with my reading wishlist.
- Female main characters WITHOUT a love interest
- Male main characters WITH a love interest- I find it strange that female characters always have to have a love interest while male characters usually do not.
- Historical fiction YA- I really like historical fiction, but I find that these books are usually in a more middle-grade category.
- No love interest- Guys and girls are capable of just being friends!
- Less dystopias- Can we please get past this genre? I admit, I enjoy some, but I’m tired of them!
- Horror/ suspenseful books- A good thriller is to die for! Keyword, though: good
- Less books with multiple perspectives- I like to be connected to one character most of the times. There are a lot of books it works in, but I think it’s becoming overdone.
- THINKING BOOKS- I want more books that take place inside the head. I can’t really explain it well, but books like A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime or Catcher in the Rye. These books focus less on action and more on reaction.
- Funny books- And I mean actually funny. I like satires or comedies. I don’t want a bunch of lame one-liners. But I’ll admit, it’s a large feat to get me to laugh.
- Realistic romance- I know it sounds like I hate all romance. That isn’t true. I hate unrealistic romantic subplots that consume the story when that isn’t what the series/book is about. Just state outright this is a romance, and I will sink my teeth into it faster than you can say the title. I love a cute story! Don’t take this as trashy paperbacks you read on the beach. Things similar to Eleanor and Park.
It was actually much harder than I thought it would be to come up with this list! I guess that’s a good thing; all the authors are already writing what I like. After this is posted, I’m sure I’ll think of another 10 things way better than these, but this is all I have for now.